One of the most active groups of our temple family is the Chai Club.
The Chai Club was founded in the 1970’s by a beloved congregant, Charlie Mayer. So many stories about Charlie abound to this day telling about his zest for life and ongoing challenge to his temple friends, urging them to participate and lead. In fact, each year, the Brotherhood bestows the Charlie Mayer Meritorious Service Award to a congregant who has made a notable contribution during the year.
If you have been a member at one or more Jewish congregations for a cumulative total of eighteen (18) years, you’re eligible!
Is there ever a dull moment at the Chai Club? Never.
- Theater Adventures at the John Engeman Theater in Northport and Heckscher Park in Huntington
- Continuing Education Programs (compelling, fun, widely attended)
- Shabbat services on the third Friday of the month
- Chanukah parties with delicious, homemade dishes and endless latkes
- Elections and Covered Dish Shabbat Dinner
- Installation Shabbat Dinner, always in June, always catered, always inspiring
- Summer Sunday Barbecue at the Senior Beach in Centerport, a potluck accompanying a day of grilling
With so many years of lasting friendships and countless deeds of loving kindness, it’s no wonder our Chai Club members are the pride and joy of our congregation.
Chai Club Officers, 2023-24
President: Peter Wayne (click here to email)
Treasurer: Elaine Eig
Corresponding Secretary: Laura Klayman
Responding Secretary: Joan Lifson
Historian: Sandy Hoffman
Ritual: Phoebe Krane
Chai Lites Editor: Barry Eig
Membership: Ro Ruk
Publicity: Roz Finkel
Events/Outings: Barbara Golden
Hospitality: Marcia Schwalb
Programming: Margaret Roche
Parliamentarian: Lynn Geisler
Sunshine: Laura Klayman
Past Presidents: Debi Fallenberg, Lynn Geisler, Debbie Rich