One of the most active groups of our temple family is the Chai Club.
The Chai Club was founded in the 1970’s by a beloved congregant, Charlie Mayer. So many stories about Charlie abound to this day telling about his zest for life and ongoing challenge to his temple friends, urging them to participate and lead. In fact, each year, the Men’s Club Brotherhood bestows the Charlie Mayer Meritorious Service Award to a congregant who has made a notable contribution during the year.
If you have been a member at one or more Jewish congregations for a cumulative total of eighteen (18) years, you’re eligible!
Is there ever a dull moment at the Chai Club? Never.
- Theater Adventures at the John Engeman Theater in Northport
- Continuing Education Programs (compelling, fun, widely attended)
- Shabbat services on the third Friday of the month
- Chanukah parties with delicious, homemade dishes and endless latkes
- Elections and Covered Dish Shabbat Dinner
- Installation Shabbat Dinner, always in June, always catered, always inspiring
- Summer Sunday Barbecue at the Senior Beach in Centerport, a potluck accompanying a day of grilling
With so many years of lasting friendships and countless deeds of loving kindness, it’s no wonder our Chai Club members are the pride and joy of our congregation.
Chai Club Officers, 2021-22
|Corresponding Secretary||Joan Feilbogen|
|Programming and Trips||Barbara Golden|
|Chai Lites Editor||Barry Eig|
|Special Events||Peter Wayne|
|Hospitality Co-Chair||Marcia Schwalb|
|Hospitality Co-Chair||Margaret Roche|
|Sunshine||Barbara Stern (z”l)|
|Past President||Debbie Rich|